Engagement photo sessions are sometimes the first time you work with your photographer, and sometimes it’s also the first time that you and your fiance have professional photos taken together. That can be super-exciting time ….but it can also make you a little nervous because you don’t know how to act, what to do, what to expect, or what to wear!
I can’t tell you how many times couples have arrived for their session, and they’ve told me how nervous they are! But by the time we’re in the middle of the session, they are having fun! I walk you through the poses so I make it fun and easy! Trust me, I get nervous when I get my photo taken too!
Engagement photos help us build a relationship together and get us ready for your wedding day! That way you know what to expect and are already comfortable for your wedding day!
Generally with a 60min engagement session, we have time for 1 outfit. If it’s a longer session, we will have time for two. I always recommend one casual outfit and one dressier outfit, and to do the casual dresses first!
Suggestions on What to Wear
- Choose comfortable clothes: If you’re not comfortable, it will show! It is also best to wear comfortable shoes if your location will include a lot of walking. But don’t wear tennis shoes! It’s best to wear cute flats or boots with a low heel rather than 4-inch stilettos.
- Wear clothes that make you feel like you: Make sure your clothes look like “you” and fit your personality.
- Compliment each other, but don’t match: You want to wear clothes that are the same level of “dressyness,” and wear similar color shades that compliment each other.
- Think about the season: For winter sessions, these colors look great together: navy, gray, maroon, cream/khaki. In the summer, these colors look great together: white, cream/khaki, light blue.
- Choose colors that are neutral, muted, and pastels: It’s best to wear neutral colors that aren’t loud and take away from you! I suggest staying away from any neon colors, loud prints, and surprisingly black!
What NOT to Wear for Engagement Photos
- Neon and florescent colors: Neon colors are generally best to be avoided. They can tend to color cast on faces, necks and hair. When the clothing is so bright, it often also changes the color of the person standing next to them.
- Classic looks over trends: They will date your photos as soon as the trend goes out of style. It’s best to go for classic styles, and stay away from logos and large trendy prints and quotes.
- Clothing with words and phrases: It’s best to stay away from any shirts or dresses that have a phrase or have words on them, and they can take away from the photos and as well date them.
- Major changes with your hair and makeup: You want your engagement photos to reflect you, so it’s best to keep makeup and hair natural to how you usually would wear them, but a little dressier.
- T-shirts and tennis shoes: This includes white t-shirts under button-up dress shirts with the top buttons undone. You don’t want a little white t-shirt peeking out above your nice dress shirt.
- Large shirts that are not tucked in. For guys, it’s usually better to wear a belt if you are wearing a nice button-up shirt. Sometimes, if untucked shirts are too big or too wide, they don’t look good and are “boxy.” Fitted shirts and jackets look much better than wide boxy ones.
More Tips on What To Wear for Engagement Photos
- The best time for the photo shoot is in the late afternoon as the sun is setting. The light controls when I shoot so the time will change depending on the time of year!
- I know it sounds silly, but plan on having a good time! If you’re in a good mood, it will show in the pictures and you will get more great photos!
Engagement pictures are usually in your photo albums, hanging on your wall, and will be placed in engagement announcements and “save-the-date” cards. Taking a few moments to make the best of your photos will be priceless in the many years to come!
If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to ask! I can’t wait to work with you!